McAfee Security is the leading antivirus program that can prevent dangerous and malicious programs from entering into the PC and damaging it. However, if you’re unable to access the Internet once you have installed the McAfee Security suite, it’s possible that the McAfee firewall component might be blocking you from connecting to the Internet. At such time, before uninstalling the McAfee program or calling on the McAfee customer support number for expert help, you should try the below solutions to troubleshoot and repair the problems without removing the security software.
Solution 1 - Determine Application Access
1. Double-click on the McAfee icon on your taskbar. Click the ‘Web and Email Protection,’ followed by the ‘Firewall’ link.
2. Check that the Firewall is enabled in the ‘Firewall’ window. Click on the ‘Program Permissions’ drawer.
3. Move through the list and write down the application rules you may have made, mainly block rules.
4. Allow external access to the programs that need the Internet connection.
Solution 2 - Restore Firewall defaults
1. Click the ‘Restore Defaults’ button. Restoring the firewall defaults will remove all settings. You might be reminded to allow or reject different programs or to re-add the custom port grants you made for other applications.
2. Once you click the ‘Restore Defaults’ option, the Security Center might ask you for Internet or app permissions. Be careful while confirming the local network and make sure that you choose the ‘Home’ option.
Solution 3 - Temporarily Disable the McAfee Personal Firewall
If you still can’t connect to the Internet, the Personal Firewall may not be able to configure the network automatically. It can happen if you have any other firewall installed, many network adapters activated, or the Network Properties are incorrectly set. You can turn off the McAfee Personal Firewall temporarily and check for the Internet connection. Here’s how to do:
1. Double-click on the McAfee icon in your taskbar. Click the ‘Web and Email Protection,’ followed by the ‘Firewall’ link.
2. Click the ‘Turn Off’ option under the ‘Firewall’ window. McAfee Firewall will prompt that you want to turn off the service with a warning message.
3. Set the resume time, and then click the ‘Turn Off’ button. The security status will turn from green to red, which is usual.
4. Check your Internet connection. Once the process completes, you can either enable the firewall or restart your PC.
If you’re still unable to access the Internet with the firewall disabled, it’s possible the problem is with another service or application. For the technical support or assistance, you can call on the McAfee customer service number and consult with the IT experts regarding your issues. You can also reinstall the Personal Firewall Security for the proper network configuration.